Wheather routing not working

VRTool software support forum

Wheather routing not working

Postby SWarnberg » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:56 pm

Hi

The last weeks I've noticed that the wheather routing is not working that well in poor wind conditions, and I don't know what the problem is. I'm using the Classic polars, which works quite good. However, if you look at the following Picture, you can see that the wheather routing tool predicts the distance extremely bad. If you use the ruler tool, the prediction is as accurate as in the game.

This is the same picture from the game. You can see the same distance and predicted time as the ruler. But the wheather routing is way off. What is the problem?

/Staffan
SWarnberg

Re: Wheather routing not working

Postby mclean » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:22 pm

Looks like you are dragging weed!

Maybe check that the wind interpolation settings are correct, instructions here: http://www.tecepe.com.br/wiki/index.php?title=Winds_Tab#What_is_Interpolation. Make sure the time interpolation is set to "previous".
mclean

Postby SWarnberg » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:10 am

Yes, it's set accordingly:

SWarnberg

Postby omar » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:51 pm

Yes. This is the correct config for wind interpolation in the VORG 14.

Also, in "Wind Forecat Age" panel, check [x]Time from last wind update
Set "First Wind update time" to local time corresponding to 7:00 UTC.

In NOAA download window, set:

Time zone (in hours, positive for W longitudes, negative for E )
resolution: 12
up to: 180
omar
Site Admin

Postby SWarnberg » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:15 pm

Yes. All that are set. I doubt anything has to do with the wind forecast or interpolation since the ruler tool is working perfectly (as seen on the pic). Also, by using the ruler tool, I can se that the wind is perfect compared to game winds, all over the map.
It's just the routing that calculates the speed and distance incorrect during low winds. Hasn't anyone experienced this?
SWarnberg

Postby mclean » Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:30 am

That's a hard one. If the wind is all OK then the next suspect has to be the polars. You could open a copy of your file in an editor or spreadsheet and see there are any anomalies in that area of the polars. Seems unlikely - I had a look at my copy of vor0_std-full.csv and it looks fine.

The rule tool isn't giving you the whole story - it picks up the boat speed from the last point placed, so in your diagram it's applying 3.1 knots boat speed to the whole section of the track. If you had placed another point near the +12 hr point on the route you might have seen the boat going a lot slower. But that doesn't explain why.
mclean

Postby omar » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:07 pm

Hi mclean. Version 2.34 improves weather routing upwind results.
Hopefully.. :mrgreen:
omar
Site Admin

Return to VRTool Forum