Importing winds easily

VRTool software support forum

Importing winds easily

Postby Ricoo » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:47 am

Even since the interdiction to retrieve data from MP's servers, it has always been possible to import the winds.
In the Server field of the Winds tab, we just had to enter <race>.virtualregatta.com
[edit 1] This is no longer true, since VR changed the names of the winds directory.

But, as everyone may know, MP's forecasts suffer several drawbacks, they are somewhat time-shifted and are not updated regularly.

So, I set up my own winds server and I bring it to you now.
On this server, updates are performed 4 times a day, taking data directly from the NOAA servers.
These updates are performed 4:30 after the hours of reference of those files. i.e. 0h, 6h, 12h and 18h GMT.
So, this makes 4:30, 10:30, 16:30 and 22:30 GMT.
Or, in French Winter hours: 5:30, 11:30, 17:30 and 23:30.
And soon, because we're changing time next sunday, it will be 6:30, 12:30, 18:30 and 0:30.
For those accustomed to zezo, it is just half an hour before its own updates.

Paco (from PACOTOOL) was kind enough to make me a little room on his server which is more reliable and powerful than mine:
Thanks a lot to him, and please remember to click on his "Donate" button. :D

So, now, the address to enter in our favorite tool is : vrtoutoulz.fr/winds.
Do not put any http:// at the beginning, or it wouldn't work.
[edit 2] I changed the above address to make it link to our brand new server.

[edit 3] You may consider, adding the race name as follow : vrtoutoul.fr/velux/winds for instance. This information is not used yet, but may be one day.

Enjoy it! ;)

Ricoo.
Last edited by Ricoo on Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ImageVR ToutoulZ ! . . . . . . . . . . (Tools and stuff for VR races and VRTool)
Ricoo

Re: Importing winds easily

Postby Neptune » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:18 pm

Hi Ricoo
It's nice to see people trying to improve VRTool and it's capabilities.
I assume that the link you provided is to be placed in the "Import data from Firefox" cache Path - If that is correct It does not work on my PC. If not where should the link be placed.
What is the point of having more accurate winds data if it does not match what the game is using ?
Mauro

So, now, the address to enter in our favorite tool is : www.estceouvert.com/vrtoutoulz/winds.
Do not put any http:// at the beginning, or it wouldn't work.

Enjoy it! ;)

Ricoo.[/quote]
Neptune

Postby Ricoo » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:35 pm

No, you assumed wrong, that's why it's not working. I must not have been clear enough.
Here's an illustration of where you may enter this address:

The winds data I provide are not at all more accurate than the game wind but match better than what the game shows.
This is because, the +12h and +36h forecasts the game shows are wrong, shifted by 3 hours in one way or the other.
I mean, at the morning wind change, the +12h winds shown are the 9pm forecast. Then, at the evening wind change, it's the 6pm data that is used instead and +12h forecast actually shows the next 6am forecast.
+24h forecasts should always match.
Is this cleared ?
ImageVR ToutoulZ ! . . . . . . . . . . (Tools and stuff for VR races and VRTool)
Ricoo

Postby Neptune » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:12 pm

Yes thank you.

BTW The image was visible for about 10 seconds and then disappeared , however I was able to see it.

Does anyone know how to keep it visible :roll:

The winds data I provide are not at all more accurate than the game wind but match better than what the game shows.
This is because, the +12h and +36h forecasts the game shows are wrong, shifted by 3 hours in one way or the other.
I mean, at the morning wind change, the +12h winds shown are the 9pm forecast. Then, at the evening wind change, it's the 6pm data that is used instead and +12h forecast actually shows the next 6am forecast.
+24h forecasts should always match.
Is this cleared ?[/quote]
Neptune

Postby Ricoo » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:20 pm

Can you see it now ?
Ricoo

Postby Neptune » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:20 am

Yes - Thank you :lol: ;)

Ricoo wrote:Can you see it now ?
Neptune

Postby Ricoo » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:51 pm

UP !!!

Since I now have my own domain name, I updated the server address in the first post. Check your configurations ;)
Ricoo

Postby BobNegraes » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:17 am

Hi, Ricoo

I can't access your wind server anymore. The adress www.vrtoutz.fr/winds/ still working?
BobNegraes

Postby omar » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:48 pm

It is more like: vrtoutoulz.fr/winds
Om
omar
Site Admin

Postby Ricoo » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:25 pm

That's it. Thank's Omar.
I've also a complete tutorial about these winds forecasts here : http://forum.pacotool.fr/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=34
Its in french, but I guess an automatic translator like G's, can help you understand most it it (http://translate.google.fr/translate?js ... 4%26t%3D34)
If someone wants to get this tutorial published in english (or any other), feel free to volonteer on our forum :D
Ricoo

Return to VRTool Forum